Hollywood icon Elizabeth Taylor is synonymous with diamonds for many people, as the star’s love of diamonds compelled her to don some of the most breathtaking baubles in the world. The late Taylor’s fine jewelry pieces were recently up for auction at select locations in New York City and London. Her jewelry, along with her art collections and clothing, sold for more than $183 million total. Here is a look at some of the stunning jewels at the auctions:
Elizabeth Taylors sparkling 33-carat diamond became her trademark.
- The famed 33.19-carat Asscher-cut, D-color Krupp diamond ring that actor and former husband Richard Burton gave Taylor sold for $8.8 million. Burton gave the star the Krupp Diamond in 1968, and she wore it regularly since then, making it a trademark style of hers.
- Taylor’s mesmerizing emerald and diamond jewelry fetched high prices at the auction as well. An emerald and diamond flower brooch sold for $1.3 million, an emerald and diamond Bulgari necklace went for $5.4 million, an emerald and diamond pendant brooch for $5.8 million and an emerald and diamond bracelet for $3.5 million. All were gifts from Burton to Taylor.
- A diamond tiara of Taylor’s sold for $3.7 million.
Diamonds have inspired people for centuries, with their one-of-a-kind sparkle, brilliance and beauty. No other gems can compare to the rare beauty and shine of a diamond. Stylish stars from Elizabeth Taylor to Marilyn Monroe have sung the praises of diamonds. Statesmen and philosophers ranging from Henry Kissinger to Confucius have also contemplated the power of diamonds. Here are the best diamond quotes on these glistening gems:
- Elizabeth Taylor was a lifelong diamond lover and wore some of the most stunning jewelry.
- “I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the number of carats in a diamond!” – Mae West
- “I never hated a man enough to give him his diamonds back.” – Zsa Zsa Gabor
- “I have always felt a gift diamond shines so much better than one you buy for yourself!” – Mae West
- “Big girls need big diamonds.” – Elizabeth Taylor
- “A kiss on the hand may be quite continental, but diamonds are a girl’s best friend.” – Marilyn Monroe, singing “Diamonds Are a Girl’s Best Friend”
- “A diamond is a chunk of coal that is made good under pressure.” — Henry Kissinger
- “Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without.” — Confucius
“Whenever I fail as a father or husband… a toy and a diamond always works.” — Shahrukh Khan