Adding an engraving to your engagement ring or wedding band can make something that’s already meaningful even more special. Yet, coming up with the best way to express your love in an inscription can be a bit daunting, since there are so many different directions you can take. But if you’re struggling to find the right words to express your devotion, we’re here to help. In this post, we’re giving a few general tips to help you understand your engraving options, then sharing a list of our favorite engagement ring and wedding ring engraving ideas.
Quick Tips on Engagement and Wedding Ring Engraving
Never had something engraved before? Here are some quick tips that can help you understand the process.
- Most rings can accommodate 15 to 30 characters, so you’ll need to keep your love message brief.
- The standard placement for an engraving is inside the ring’s band. This ensures that the engraving doesn’t affect the outer beauty of the ring. It also results in less fading from wear.
- Engravings can be done at any point after a ring is made, whether that’s right after it’s made (and before the proposal) or after your wedding day.
- If you think you may need to resize a ring, it’s best to wait until after you resize to engrave it, since a resize is likely to disrupt your message.
- Double check your spelling before giving your engraving message to your jeweler. Misspellings and date mix ups are more common than you may think!
Ring Engraving Ideas
Though rings can only accommodate around 15 to 30 characters, you have a vast number of options available. Below are some traditional options and modern favorites.
A Special Date
A engraving choice is a meaningful date. Whether you choose to inscribe your ring with your first date, your wedding date, your proposal date, or any other special moment, this type of engraving will add a romantic touch.
If there’s a place that’s special to you and your significant other, consider engraving its coordinates inside your ring.
A Traditional Message
Engraving a wedding band or engagement ring is a time honored practice, so you have many meaningful traditional engraving options to choose from, such as:
- The infinity symbol
- Each other’s initials
- Each other’s names
- Monogram of new initials
- I love you
- You have my heart
- Happily ever after
- True love
- I choose you
- All my love
- I do
If you and your love are more relaxed and lighthearted than traditional, consider one of these engraving options:
- Perfect fit
- Better half
- Put your ring back on
- A deal’s a deal
- A song lyric or movie quote
- Now you’re stuck with me
- Ride or die
- My favorite ball and chain
- An inside joke
- Each other’s pet names
If faith is an important part of your relationship, a religious engraving can be a deeply meaningful choice. You could opt to engrave a bible verse about love and marriage, or a verse that’s meaningful to you in particular. You could also inscribe a short religious phrase, such as:
- Love is patient, love is kind
- God unites in love
- Joined under God
- God for me provided thee
- Do everything in love
Engravings in Other Languages
Engraving a message in a different language can add a personal, romantic touch to your engagement ring or wedding band. Not sure what to say in another tongue? Consider these romantic options for your ring inscription:
- Je t’aime (“I love you” in French)
- Mon coeur est a vous (“You have my heart” in French)
- Joie sans fin (“Joy without end” in French)
- Deus nos iunxit (“God joined us” in Latin)
- Omnia vincit amor (“Love conquers all” in Latin)
- Pari passu (“With equal step” in Latin)
- Semper amemus (“Our love is forever” in Latin)
- Amore mio (“My love” in Italian)
- Ti amo (“I love you” in Italian)
- Il mio unico vero amore (“My one true love” in Italian)
- Ani L’dodi V’dodi Li (“My beloved is mine and I am his,” in Hebrew, Song of Solomon 2:16)